Dealing with the damage from a car accident is stressful enough, and having to heal from a personal injury adds an extra level of pain. If you are suffering from a personal injury and want to file a claim for compensation, consulting a lawyer is the best decision you can make for your process to be smooth and successful.
What Is a Personal Injury Claim?
If you’ve been hurt as a result of another driver’s negligence on the road, you should not have to pay for your recovery on your own. Often, an accident can cause you to take time off of work, stop working, and pay for long-term medical care, all of which can be extremely expensive. If you live in an at-fault state like Georgia, you are entitled to compensation from the other driver’s insurance company. Unfortunately, this can be a somewhat complex legal process, and you might face backlash from the at-fault driver.
The Personal Claim Process
If you’re considering filing a personal injury claim after a car accident, you will have to go through the following steps.
- Seek Medical Attention: First thing first, do not delay getting medical attention for any injuries from the accident. It’s understandable if you’re worried about the cost of medical care, but the most important thing is that you attend to your needs first and fight for compensation later.
- Contact a Lawyer: If you want the best chance of getting a positive outcome, you should get in touch with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Your lawyer can address all of your questions and concerns about the legal process, collect and scrupulously review the evidence of your case, and get ready to negotiate on your behalf and defend you in court if absolutely necessary.
- Get in Touch With Your Insurance Company: Even though the at-fault driver’s insurance company will pay for your damages, you need to alert your insurance company of what happened so they can investigate and determine fault.
- Contact the at-Fault Driver’s Insurance: If you have hired an attorney, they will handle the communication with the other driver’s insurance on your behalf. They can alert them to what happened and file a personal injury claim for you.
- Negotiation: Your lawyer will communicate with the other insurance company and negotiate a settlement that meets your needs.
- In Certain Cases, Going to Court: In the event that the negotiations do not achieve a positive outcome, your lawyer might suggest that you pursue a lawsuit, and they’ll be ready to represent you in court and advocate for your needs.
You don’t necessarily have to hire a lawyer to file a personal injury claim, but your attorney can make the process much simpler. If you don’t have a lawyer, you will have to draft a demand letter to the other driver’s insurance company, including what happened, what compensation you are demanding, and why.
Is There a Statute of Limitations on a Personal Injury Case?
In some states, you have a limited amount of time after an accident to file a personal injury claim. In the state of Georgia, you usually have two years from the date that the accident occurred to file your claim or two years from the day you discovered the injury. In other words, you shouldn’t hesitate to file a claim as soon as you can after an accident. The earlier you file, the earlier your chance of receiving compensation for covering expenses and suffering.
A Personal Injury Lawyer Who Will Fight for You
You shouldn’t have to handle stressful communication with insurance companies when you are recovering from an injury. At Lamar Law Office, LLC, it is our pleasure to protect those who need legal support after an accident. If you have questions or need guidance filing a personal injury claim, do not hesitate to contact us for a consultation.